Dept: Biomedical Engineering
Research: Carbon MEMS/NEMS, Analytical Electrochemistry and Biosensors, Low Voltage Near-field electrospinning, Enzymatic Biofuel Cells
Career Goals: Entrepreneurship, Industrial Consulting, Business Leadership
Projects: Biological applications of C-MEMS, Development of Glucose based Biofuel cells, In vivo dynamic Blood gas sensing
Collaborators/Funding: Nanoscale Interdisciplinary Research Teams- NSF; Dr. Sylvia Daunert, University of Kentucky;
Chunlei Wang, Florida International University;
Genis Turon Teixidor, Matthew Savage, UC Irvine
Press Coverage: CNNMoney.com
UCI Newspaper (p36)
Industrial Consulting and Entrepreneurship in the field of Biomedical Engineering with specialization in high tech portable diagnostics, biomaterials and bioenergy.
University of California, Irvine
Master of Science, Biomedical Engineering
- Area of Research: Carbon MEMS/NEMS, Analytical Electrochemistry and Biosensors, Low Voltage Near-field electrospinning, Enzymatic Biofuel Cells
Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kharagpur, India
Bachelor of Technology, Biotechnology and Biochemical Engineering
- Honors Thesis: Material Characteristics of Diamond-like Nanocomposite (DLN) thin films and its implications on its Biocompatibility
- Recipient of BME Continuing Fellowship 2009 from Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of California Irvine
- “Bal Vigyanik Samman” (2004) by Department of Science of Technology, as the highest honor for scientific achievement in the State of Uttar Pradesh, India.
- Full Scholarship and financial support for undergraduate studies at IIT Kharagpur.
- Undergraduate Research Associate at Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics (SINP), India (2004-2005).
- Represented India at 6th International Astronomy Olympiad (2001) at Crimean Astrophysical Observatory, Crimea, Ukraine and won 2nd Position.
- 1st prize at District level & 2nd prize at State level (1998 &1999) at National Children Science Congress (NCSC), organized by Department of Science & Technology India, and Science & Technology Division UNICEF for studies on “Therapeutic effects of common medicinal plants for reducing public health costs”
- Member of IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society
BIOTECHNOLOGY & BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING SKILLS
- Protein Engineering
- Cell and Molecular Biology
- Atomic Force Microscopy
- Transmission Electron Microscopy
- Infrared Spectroscopy & X-Ray Diffraction
- Cell and Tissue toxicology
- CNC machining and CAD Prototyping
- Soft Lithography and Microfluidics
- Image Processing in Matlab & ImageJ
- Programming with C, C++ and Matlab.
- Website Development ( Experience with Dreamweaver & HTML coding)
- Flash based Animation and Website
- Analysis on R package, Matlab and Origin
- Microsoft Office suite.
- Knowledge of Indian Company Law &Industrial Economics ( Undergraduate Electives)
- Proficiency in English ( TOEFL IBT Score: 111/120), Hindi and Basic Sanskrit
University of Southern California, Los Angeles, USA (May 2007- July 2007)
Advisor : Dr. Chongwu Zhou, Associate Professor, Department of Electrical Engg., USC, Los Angeles, USA
- Selected through the USC-IIT InfoUSA Summer Fellowship program, among total 14 students from IIT Kgp.
- Developed a technique to achieve aligned growth of Carbon Nanotubes (CNT). Technique is being utilized by USC research groups in reducing time and cost requirements for fabrication of highly receptive nanosensor devices.
Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India (May 2006- July 2006)
Advisor : Dr. Manju Bansal, Professor, Molecular Biophysics Unit, India Institute of Sciences, Bangalore, India
- Selected through the IAS Summer Fellowship program among top 10% in undergraduate and postgraduate programs in Heath Sciences across India.
- Proposed and Implemented a computational technique for understanding inhibition (choking) of F1-ATPase motors: a biological nanomotor.
- Work invited for presentation at International Symposium on Bioinformatics and Computational Biology and has potential applications for development of future Nanotechnological devices.
- G. Bisht, G. Canton, A. Mirsepassi, D. Dunn-Rankin, L. Kulinsky and M. Madou, Novel Polymeric Inks for Precision Patterning of Carbon Micro/Nano-Fibers Using Near-Field Electrospinning, Proceedings of Technologies for Future Micro-Nano Manufacturing, Napa, CA, Aug 8-10 2011.
- Bisht GB, Canton G, Mirsepassi A, Kulinsky L, Oh S, Dunn-Rankin D, Madou MJ. Controlled Continuous Patterning of Polymeric Nanofibers on 3D Substrates Using Low-Voltage Near-Field Electrospinning, Nanoletters, 2011; 11 (4): pp 1831–1837.
- Gobind S. Bisht, Rachana Srivastava, Lawrence Kulinsky, Chacko Jacob, Chetna Raj, Ashutosh Sharma, Marc Madou; Fabrication of advanced carbon electrodes for energy generation and storage applications, Proceedings of PowerMEMS 2010, Leuven, Belgium.
- Gobind Bisht, Seema Ehsan, Genis Turon, Sungduk Kim, Lawrence Kulinsky, Sylvia Daunert, Marc Madou Novel Carbon Micro Electrode Array Platform for Enzyme Based Micro Biofuel Cell. MRS Fall Meeting 2009, Boston MA.
- G Teixidor, R Gorkin, G S Bisht, M Kulkarni, P Tripathi, J Subramaniam, T Maiti, T Battacharyya, A Sharma, B Y Park, Marc Madou; Carbon microelectromechanical systems as a substratum for cell growth, Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, 3 (2008).
- G S Bisht, T Das, D Mishra, S K Mallick, T K Bhattacharya, T K Maiti; Material and Biological characterisation of Diamond-like Nanocomposite (DLN) thin films; International Conference on Design of Biomaterials 2006 & XVII Annual Meeting of SBAOI (Society of Biomaterials and Artificial Organs, India), IIT Kanpur, India.
- T Das, D Pal, G S Bisht, T K Bhattacharya, T K Maiti. Retention of Protein-Protein interactions in Microcontact Printing; International Symposium on Nano-Bio Interface 2005, India.
- G S Bisht, Manju Bansal; A Computational Investigation of Mg ADP Inhibition of F1-ATPase, International Symposium on Computational Biology and Bioinformatics 2006, India.
"Novel DIAMAS (Diamond-like Nanocomposite) materials for Biocompatible coating applications" , File No 896/KOL/2008 at the Indian Patent Office.
- Developed Business Plan for Medical Grade Diamond based Nanocomposite coatings for surgical instruments; leading Team (DIAMAS COATS) composed of Managers and Engineers from University of California Irvine, Tufts University and Indian Institute of Management Calcutta to raise venture funding at various National and International Business Plan Competitions.
- Stood among Top 36 Semi Finalists Globally at the Rice Business Plan Competition 2008
- Stood among Top 16 Finalists Globally at Asia Moot Corp 2008
- Won 3rd Prize and seed funding at India Innovation Pioneers Challenge organized by Intel India, DST and Indo-US Science & Tech Forum.
- Developed Business Plan for Industrial scale Non-Thermal Pasteurization of Liquid Foods; leading Team (Biopure) composed of Managers and Engineers from IIT Kharagpur and Vinod Gupta School of Management to raise venture funding at various National and International Business Plan Competitions.
- Nominated among top 36 Global teamsto participate at the Semi Finals of Rice Business Plan Competition 2007 (RBPC); Awarded 3rd prize in the Challenge Round.
- Awareded 2nd Prize and seed funding at Indian Institute of Management (IIM) Lucknow.
- Letter of Appreciation and Monetary support from IIT Foundation USA
- Served as Business Events Advisor to Kshtij 2008 ( International Techno-Management Fest of IIT Kharagpur)
- Founding Member and Sponsorship Head of Genesis 2008 ( National Biotechnology Fest of IIT Kharagpur)
- Lead Speaker at National Workshop on Entrepreneurship at Calcutta (India) with an audience of 800+ students.
- Elected Technology Committee Member of LLR Hall of Residence for the tenure 2005-2006.
- Member of NSO (National Sports Organization) in Hockey from 2005-2007, at IIT Kharagpur.
- Awarded 1st prize at International Astronomy School 2001 held at City Montessori School, India.
- Awarded 2nd prize at the International Science Quiz at Macfair International Competition
Return to top